Contract type: Permanent
Department: Software Development
The Olympic Channel is a digital-first, multiplatform global Olympic media entity, where fans can experience the power of sport and the Olympic Movement all year round. The primary objectives of the Olympic Channel are the following:
- Provide a platform for the continuous exposure of Olympic sports and athletes beyond the Olympic Games period and help create anticipation while providing opportunities to “re-live the experience” after the Games
- Continuously highlight the relevance of the Olympic Movement’s ideals to the challenges of today’s world
- Provide a platform for sharing the IOC’s very rich patrimonial assets and archives with the world and create additional value and content for the IOC archives
As a matter of priority, engage the young generations around the world using methods that are relevant to them, building understanding, entertainment and education.
The Olympic Channel team is composed of experienced broadcast professionals and innovative content-producers working out of two main bases of operation. The commercial and distribution departments are located at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and the technical and production units operate out of Madrid, Spain.
OCS is seeking to hire a backend developer to join our integration platform team in the role of technical team lead.
As a team lead you will be responsible for our internal Integration Platform team providing the technical leadership and knowledge to build and maintain our integration platform, creating and maintaining software to integrate the different systems that compose the backbone of the content creation and management of the Olympic Channel.
You will be responsible for coordinating with stakeholders to extract user requirements, propose, accept and seek approval for improvements and for coordinating a team of developers in the delivery of the required features. As part of your role you, together with your team, will provide and track estimations and work, coordinate your team and report to the department manager in a comprehensive way.
• To grow, manage and lead a team of developers to build, standardise and expand our integration platform.
• To be the technical lead of the team, mentoring its members in best practices and ensuring the overall quality of the code.
• To be the custodian of the architecture and design of the applications being developed or maintained by the team.
• Driving work and release planning, smartly handling interdependencies between teams, and identifying and managing requirements and architectural convergence as well as software delivery risks.
• To liaise with the stake holders and the department manager on the current requirements, progress and risks.
• Plan and architect the tech for new app features, systems and integrations, and ensure the team realisation until the go-live.
• To lead the team on operating and providing support for released applications after go-live.
• To ensure the observability of the integrated systems and the system itself from metrics to logging.
• Apply pragmatism and best practices in software engineering, delivering projects on time, with excellent quality.
• Writing tests and continually improving our build process
• Take ownership of the platform, finding ways to improve its effectiveness, reliability and cost.
• To hands on code for 50% of your time.
• At least 8 year of hands-on backend development experience, including at least two major languages.
• Extensive experience with backend development best practices and design patterns.
• Experience working with source control systems (Git, TFS, Bitbucket, etc)
• Experience with TDD and continuous integration or continuous delivery.
• Experience building microservice architectures, highlights and caveats.
• Experience with Docker and Kubernetes to produce highly scalable and resilient applications, including use of best practices in logging and monitoring, load balancing and continuous integration.
• A demonstrable track of successful application design, performance optimizations, resilience and scalability of software.
• Extensive programming experience with a JVM language (Java, Kotlin) and the java ecosystem of libraries (Maven, Gradle, Spring Boot, Dropwizard, etc) with experience designing scalable backend APIs.
• Extensive programming experience in at least another backend languages (nodeJs, .NET).
• Experience working with queuing systems (ActiveMq, RabbitMq, Kafka, etc) with a deep understanding of core EIP concepts and the benefits / drawbacks of synchronous vs asynchronous application patterns.
• Demonstrate extensive understanding of REST / GraphQL APIs and best design patterns
• Experience and pragmatism in testing and test-driven development
• Experience managing a team of developers and QA in an agile way to deliver the product within the schedule and with top class quality.
• Desirable experience with cloud technologies in the backend area (Serverless, lambda functions, AWS ECS, AWS AppSync, etc or equivalent technologies)
• Desirable experience working with a remote team.
• Desirable experience working with integration platforms or software (Mule ESB, IBM Arema, etc)
• Fluent English and outstanding communication skills (written and oral) especially in understanding requirements and explaining technical or complex concepts.
• Excellent decision-making skills.
• Extensive experience with Agile Practices and the tools involved in them.
• A leadership attitude and the ability to mentor and guide team members.
Workplace and Environment
• Fast paced work environment;
• Subject to national/international criminal background checks;
• Available to travel occasionally (10%) if required by immediate Supervisor
• Position commences in March 2020
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
In order to apply for this role, please send your CV to Jobs@olympicchannel.com with your name and job title ‘Backend Tech Lead‘ on the subject line.