Contract type: Temporary
Department: Technology Development
The Olympic Channel is a digital-first, multiplatform global Olympic media entity, where fans can experience the power of sport and the Olympic Movement all year round. The primary objectives of the Olympic Channel are the following:
- Provide a platform for the continuous exposure of Olympic sports and athletes beyond the Olympic Games period and help create anticipation while providing opportunities to “re-live the experience” after the Games
- Continuously highlight the relevance of the Olympic Movement’s ideals to the challenges of today’s world
- Provide a platform for sharing the IOC’s very rich patrimonial assets and archives with the world and create additional value and content for the IOC archives
As a matter of priority, engage the young generations around the world using methods that are relevant to them, building understanding, entertainment and education.
The Olympic Channel team is composed of experienced broadcast professionals and innovative content-producers working out of two main bases of operation. The commercial and distribution departments are located at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and the technical and production units operate out of Madrid, Spain.
The Olympic Channel is seeking to fill a temporary position as Cloud Systems Engineer to work in the Technology Development unit, as part of the Technology and Operations department.
The Cloud Systems Engineer will coordinate all of the Olympic Channel’s and Sports Data Warehouse project data infrastructure activities and is responsible for the security and service quality levels, manage the design, implementation, operation and support of the applications infrastructure within the OCS and ensures that all services are produced and maintained at the required quality levels.
• Functional management: responsible for database and big data infrastructure maintenance activities, including security and 24/7 service quality levels; ensure that the potential impact of new projects and applications (including resources for their introduction and lifetime support) is understood and communicated to the projects teams; responsible for implementation of preventive and corrective maintenance related to relational databases or big data infrastructure in order to maintain fully functional infrastructure, compatible with latest industry standards; analyze and propose solutions for the continuous improvement of the productivity.
• Application Design: contribute to the definition of general specifications for the applications he/she is in charge of; perform the technical analysis and the detailed study; model processes according to the appropriate methodology for the network architecture; suggest improvements or new designs to existing applications and tools.
• Support and Maintenance: deal with user requests, service tickets, incidents, modifications; evaluate applications and databases performance and enhances when possible; carry out or supervise development and system integration activities.
• Project Management: lead projects as the Olympic Channel’s Technical representative or member; define scope, plan and follow project developments and deployments of applications; supervise or coordinate external resources during project phase.
• Ensures compliance with data security at all times.
• Install, configure and troubleshoot relational databases supporting broadcast systems and applications as well as the big data infrastructure supporting the Olympic Channel analysis tools.
• Communication: Internally with the Technical department team members and managers; externally with other Department Managers, OBS IT and Telecommunication services, suppliers and service providers.
• 5-10 years of systems and database administration experience
• Experience designing and maintaining common database management systems: SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL.
• Experience managing virtualized environments, on premise is a must and cloud based is a plus
• Experience on Hadoop cluster systems support and administration.
• Extensive experience on Unix/Linux distributed systems administration is required.
• Experience in software architecture and front-end applications.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in an operations oriented IT role with abilities to assess infrastructure needs, maintain systems, and execute on operational goals.
Education & Training
• Telecom, IT Engineering or related university degree required
• Project management certification desired
• Strong background in the areas of Database Administration, Integration and development: SQL Server , Oracle, MySQL
• Experience in a DevOps environment, preferably working support personnel for a DevOps Engineer in Data Management systems
• Strong background in common Unix/Linux distributions administration and troubleshooting
• Strong scripting skills in order to automate tasks (Python, Bash, Perl)
• Knowledge in monitoring, analytics and metrics in the above platforms
• Knowledge on big data platforms deployment and maintenance, like Hadoop / Cloudera
• Basic knowledge on Windows systems administration is a plus
• Experience working with public clouds infrastructure and services (Azure, AWS)
• Ability to resolve problems, proactivity is a must
• Fluent English spoken and written
Complexity of Work
• Requires broad-based solutions considering two of three dimensions – operational, financial and human. Analytical ability is clearly required
• Position is based in Madrid, Spain
• Available to travel occasionally (10%), if required by immediate Supervisor
• The position is temporary and extends until December 2020
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please ensure that you specify the job title on the subject line of the email.
erasure, restriction, objection to processing and portability of your personal data at any given moment, and to the extent established by the applicable legislation.