Contract type: Permanent
Department: Software Development
OCS is seeking to hire a Software Development Director to lead its Software Development initiatives for both OCS and Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS). This person will be responsible for our internal Software Development teams and also our external partners that undertake a number of wide-ranging projects. The Software Development Director role is a critical engineering leadership role of new creation as we look to expand and consolidate the Software Development function. The Director will lead growth and development and act as a mentor to the Software Development team members installing a culture of engineering excellence throughout the teams to allow for optimal product delivery.
Overview of the position:
As highlighted, the position will be responsible for projects both within OCS and OBS. In a simplified manner, OBS can be considered to be a B2B organization, delivering servicers to the Right Holding Broadcasters of the Olympic Games, whereas the Olympic Channel may be considered as a B2C entity directly offering a UX on Olympic Sports Content to the world audience.
Both organizations are seeking to consolidate their Software Development effort which currently involves the planning, delivery and maintenance of bespoke Software systems in the following main areas:
- Frontend/backend of the Olympic Channel digital platform (www.olympicchannel.com}
- Workflow orchestration on the OCS audio/video content production
- Workflow toolsets related to the broadcast of the Olympic Games
- The multisport OTT platform for digital content delivery during the Olympic Games
- The Sports Data Lake/Data Warehouse used to capture, store and make available sports related results and performance data out of multiple sports events
Current developments regarding the above systems are predominantly delivered by external third parties, hired for the purpose. From a technical perspective, however, there is also an existing small number of internal developers, currently assigned to separate departments, that we aim to group under a single competency group/department lead and coached by the individual that we seek to hire under the current call.
We would like to highlight that both OCS and OBS are dialogue-based organizations. We value the opinions of everyone at the table and the voices that they represent. We expect those assigned to a planning & delivery team to contribute to the conversation freely and to be led to do so. Both OCS and OBS like to work openly. We find that “working in the open” allows us to learn from one another and this is a culture that we also want our technical leadership team to foster and expand.
- To grow, manage and lead teams of domain software architects/tech leads and software development engineers that will be building, deploying, operating and maintaining essential parts of the digital infrastructure of the hiring organization. To organize those said teams to:
– follow advanced architectural concepts,
– meet agreed norms and expectations regarding high availability, reliability,
- To maintain accountability for the fulfillment of the above non-functional targets of software development while not diluting the individual direct responsibility of product owners and tech leads for the delivery of specifically assigned software development deliverables.
- To be the custodian of the organization’s owned Information Technology Intellectual Property, as it is being built and maintained by internal and external software development resources that the organization will be using for that purpose. To apply best technical practices so that this IP is properly withheld, that the organization will efficiently continue to exercise its full control on it including its efficient maintenance and continuous evolution.
- To maintain the software development strategy and roadmap of the organization, together with the CTO of the company and in consultation with the rest of the leadership team
- To nourish and grow the software development competency of any internal resources to internationally competitive levels
- To build and maintain best practices around software development, deployment, operations and maintenance that will be applicable for any software development within the organization, either by teams under herself/himself or for other software development projects that are managed independently within the organization
- To actually code for ca. 5% of their working time.
- This position will be reporting directly to the CTO of the company
- Extensive, multi-year experience with at least two major programming languages (e.g. C#, Java)
- Extensive experience with DB design, for both Relational and No SQL implementations
- Extensive, multi-year, experience in the design and implementation of complex multi-tiered web applications.
- Extended experience in designing, implementing and operating scalable and resilient solutions in a distributed cloud-based environment, in AWS and/or Azure
- Extensive experience in API design and implementation technologies
- Experience with Big Data, Hadoop based, designs
- Extensive experience in establishing and operating complex CI/CD workflows
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing QA methodologies during code development and/or code acceptance, either manually or through automation
- Extensive experience in applying agile software development methodologies
Managerial and Collaboration Skills
- Experience managing teams of 10+ software engineers
- Experience working in software development with both internal and external, distributed/remote, teams and individuals
- Experience in Project Management methodologies, both traditional and modern
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English language
- Strong influencing skills
- Have a proven ability to manage complex projects, prioritize, achieve alignment with stakeholders and implement the appropriate course of action
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and collaboratively with other departments.
- BSc or MSc Degree (preferable) in an engineering discipline related with software development and/or computer science (preferable)
- 5+ years of engineering management experience
- 5+ years as lead tech or domain architect (preferably, not overlapping timewise with the above)
- Cloud Architect certifications/training desirable (e.g. AWS Professional, MCSA: Cloud Platform, etc.)
Workplace and Environment:
- Fast paced work environment.
- Operations based at the OCS Offices in Madrid, Spain.
- National/international travel may be required.
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks.
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com. The Olympic Channel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a broad diversity of talent to apply.
Important: Please quote your name and job reference: ‘Software Development Director’ in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.