Contract type: Permanent
Department: Technology and Operations
The Olympic Channel is a digital-first, multiplatform global Olympic media entity, where fans can experience the power of sport and the Olympic Movement all year round. The primary objectives of the Olympic Channel are the following:
- Provide a platform for the continuous exposure of Olympic sports and athletes beyond the Olympic Games period and help create anticipation while providing opportunities to “re-live the experience” after the Games
- Continuously highlight the relevance of the Olympic Movement’s ideals to the challenges of today’s world
- Provide a platform for sharing the IOC’s very rich patrimonial assets and archives with the world and create additional value and content for the IOC archives
As a matter of priority, engage the young generations around the world using methods that are relevant to them, building understanding, entertainment and education.
The Olympic Channel team is composed of experienced broadcast professionals and innovative content-producers working out of two main bases of operation. The commercial and distribution departments are located at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and the technical and production units operate out of Madrid, Spain.
The Olympic Channel is seeking to fill a permanent position as Broadcast Systems Engineer to work in the Technology Infrastructure unit, as part of the Technical department.
This engineer will coordinate all of the Olympic Channel’s broadcast IT infrastructure and systems activities and is responsible for the security and service quality levels, manage the design, implementation, operation and support of the systems within the Olympic Channel and ensures that all services are produced and maintained at the required quality levels.
– Functional management: responsible for all broadcast systems and infrastructure activities , including Traffic, Content acquisition, Editorial, Postproduction, NCR, Studio galleries, Graphics platform, Digital archive, Linear and non-linear distribution including digital platforms; PAM, MAM, ESB and HSM systems; will ensure that the potential impact of new projects and applications on infrastructure (including resources for their introduction and lifetime support) is understood and communicated to the projects teams; responsible for implementation of preventive and corrective maintenance related to network infrastructure in order to maintain fully functional infrastructure, compatible with latest industry standards; analyze and propose solutions for the continuous improvement of the productivity.
– Application Design: contribute to the definition of general specifications for the applications he/she is in charge of; perform the technical analysis and the detailed study; model processes according to the appropriate methodology for the infrastructure systems; suggest improvements or new designs to existing applications and tools.
Support and Maintenance: deal with user requests, service tickets, incidents, modifications; evaluate applications and systems performance and enhances when possible; carry out or supervise development and system integration activities.
– Project Management: lead projects as the Olympic Channel’s Technical representative or member; define scope, plan and follow project developments and deployments of applications; supervise or coordinate external resources during project phase.
– Ensure compliance with data security at all times.
– Propose, specify and evaluate test procedures that would be in place for any system implementation.
– Communication: Internally with the Technical department team members and managers; externally with other Department Managers, OBS IT and Telecommunication services, suppliers and service providers.
– 10+ years of experience working with broadcast media environments with expertise on the associated infrastructure
– Experience in commissioning and support software applications related to broadcast activities
– Experience designing, managing and supporting tapeless broadcast environment workflows
– Experience with systems administration
– Experience managing virtualized environments on premise and cloud based is a must
– Experience in software architecture, programming, REST and SOAP API
– Demonstrated leadership experience in an operations-oriented role with abilities to assess infrastructure needs, maintain systems, and execute on operational goals.
– Telecom, IT Engineering or related studies are required
– Project management certification desired
– Strong background in broadcast related Audio-Video equipment
– Core expertise in broadcast A-V formats, standards, codecs, and the better use case for each
– Strong competences in defining, analyzing, evaluating, configuring and monitoring quality control parameters associated to AV related signals and files
– Extensive knowledge in live production AV broadcast related equipment like AV Servers, Switchers, Mixers, Routers, Cameras, Monitors, Decks, AV signal processors, IP video – streaming and digital VOD technologies.
– Experience in common software broadcast systems like Multiuser editorial systems, NCRs, Traffic, Lineal/NonLineal OnAir distribution including IP, Subtitling, Graphics, Programmable integration platforms, Content Management Systems, HSM subsystems.
– Strong background at administrator level in IT technologies related to media industry: IP networks and Networking protocols, IT Technologies such virtualization, storage, databases, Windows and Unix/Linux distributions, implementation architectures (SOA, ESB, BPM)
– Knowledge of monitoring, analytics and metrics in the above platforms
– Knowledge of public clouds (Azure, AWS, Alibaba).
– Knowledge of programming languages such Python. Java or PowerShell is desirable, as well as API integrations via REST and SOAP.
– General knowledge in Media Broadcast Technology, Video-Audio professional file formats, Video Compression and Audio Processing Domain, Forward Error Correction for Real-Time Video, Buffer Management.
– Ability to resolve problems, proactivity is a must.
– Fluent English spoken and written.
Complexity of Work
– Requires broad-based solutions considering two of three dimensions – operational, financial and human. Analytical ability is clearly required.
– Workplace & Environment
– Fast paced work environment
Workplace & Environment
– Position is based in Madrid, Spain
– Available to travel occasionally (10%), if required by immediate Supervisor.
– Position commences as soon as possible
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, along with examples of previous work (eg. link to a show reel or similar). The Olympic Channel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a broad diversity of talent to apply.
Important: Please quote your name and job title in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.