Contract type: Temporary
Department: Data & Analytics
The Olympic Channel is a digital-first, multiplatform global Olympic media entity, where fans can experience the power of sport and the Olympic Movement all year round. The primary objectives of the Olympic Channel are the following:
- Provide a platform for the continuous exposure of Olympic sports and athletes beyond the Olympic Games period and help create anticipation while providing opportunities to “re-live the experience” after the Games
- Continuously highlight the relevance of the Olympic Movement’s ideals to the challenges of today’s world
- Provide a platform for sharing the IOC’s very rich patrimonial assets and archives with the world and create additional value and content for the IOC archives
As a matter of priority, engage the young generations around the world using methods that are relevant to them, building understanding, entertainment and education.
The Olympic Channel team is composed of experienced broadcast professionals and innovative content-producers working out of two main bases of operation. The commercial and distribution departments are located at the IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, and the technical and production units operate out of Madrid, Spain.
Ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Olympic Channel is looking for Data Engineers to join our fast-growing digital data & analytics team based in Madrid. You will have the opportunity to work at the intersection of Data, Sport and Media across the Olympic digital ecosystem comprising the Olympic Channel, olympic.org alongside the sites and apps of Olympic Games Organizing Committees such as Tokyo 2020.
Our team is responsible for a wide range of data-related activities including:
- Using data to answer critical business questions, such as which content topics we should focus on, or how fans engage with our platforms and content
- Devising metric frameworks for measuring business performance, and automating their production
- Analyzing performance to advise teams on tactical improvements
- Contributing to the strategy development process
- Production models that deliver product features
- Fan data architecture and integrations
We are a dynamic, informal and multicultural team of specialists so far from 13 different countries with a range of skills from data, statistics, and engineering to business communications and project management. We highly value diversity of background and perspective. We work in close collaboration with colleagues who are experts in areas such as editorial, marketing, commercial, product and technical delivery. Our working language is English
- Support data science teams in the lead-up to Tokyo2020 by collecting and distributing necessary data, and presenting production predictive models for use in end-user products
- Implement and maintain key data flows in serverless frameworks
- ETL logic in frameworks such as Glue (AWS) and Data Works (Alibaba Cloud)
- Adaptors between systems in frameworks such as Lambda (AWS) or Function Compute (Alibaba Cloud)
- CI/CD in Cloud environments like AWS or Alibaba (with knowledge of CloudFormation or Terraform)
- Write and maintain SQL and Python data querying, aggregation and filtering code in SQL and Python
- Contribute to data schema structure and ensure adherence
- QA data as it comes into and out of our systems
Education and Experience:
- Excellent knowledge of serverless cloud architecture principles. Experience in at least one Cloud provider. Ideally AWS and Alibaba.
- 2+ years of experience writing test-drive Python in an agile environment
- 2+ years of experience implementing ETL flows using both file and API sources
- Prior experience with complex SQL queries, including sub-queries, case statements and UNION
- Prior experience implementing HTTP REST APIs
- Knowledge of data structuring and schema best practices and standards
- Ability to self-manage priorities in an environment with a constant mix of urgent and important
- Fluent written and spoken in English
- Thrilled to be part of a major worldwide sporting event
- Desirable familiarity with data science techniques in Python and/or R
- Desirable server-side Node JS experience
Workplace and Environment
- Fast paced work environment;
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks;
- Position until September of 2021
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, along with examples of previous work (eg. link to a show reel or similar). The Olympic Channel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a broad diversity of talent to apply.
Important: Please quote your name and job reference: ‘Digital Engineer’ in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.