Contract type: Temporary
Department: Digital Data & Analytics
Ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Olympic Channel is looking for Data and Analytics Associates to join our fast-growing Digital Data & Analytics team based in Madrid. You will have the opportunity to work at the intersection of Data, Sport and Media across the Olympic digital ecosystem comprising the Olympic Channel, olympic.org alongside the sites and apps of Olympic Games Organizing Committees such as Tokyo 2020.
Our team is responsible for a wide range of data-related activities that aim to increase fan engagement with the Olympics. Activities including:
- Using data to answer critical business questions, such as which content we should focus on, or how to better engage our fans, including advanced forecasting techniques.
- Measuring business performance and providing recommendations to decision-makers
- Help to drive the digital strategy of the IOC
- Production models that deliver high profile product features to users across the world, including during the Olympic Games, based on personalization algorithms.
- Fan data architecture and integrations
We are a dynamic, informal and multicultural team of specialists so far from 6 different countries with a range of skills from data, statistics, and engineering to business communications and project management. We highly value diversity of background and perspective and are striving for a gender balanced team. We work in close collaboration with colleagues who are experts in areas such as editorial, marketing, commercial, product and technical delivery. Our working language is English.
The role of the Data Science Manager is to help guide our core group of data scientists to define, scope and work through business questions. Your guidance and direction on best ways to approach and frame questions, manage their time to hit deadlines, and unpack problems within their work (i.e. tuning models, finding and fixing bugs, suggesting best approaches to solve the problem) will be essential to their development and success as well as your own.
We work across the full Olympic digital ecosystem of apps, websites, TV, social and other platforms. Potential projects include personalisation, mobile notifications, A/B testing, applied machine learning – all with a goal of better getting to know the Olympic Fans around the world and to serve them the best experience we possibly can.
- Direct and lead a group of Data Scientists and Associates on different projects.
- Direction of data science projects, managing progress and unblocking any problem that can appear.
- Liaise with other teams as needed to achieve common goals
- Supervise training and development of data science staff
- Ensure your team delivers in timely basis and with quality, identifying gaps and proposing how to fill them
- 3+ years of data science experience in a corporate setting with an interest in management
- Strong knowledge of programming languages, with a focus on machine learning and advanced analytics (such as R, Python)
- Excellent problem problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze issues, identify causes, and recommend solutions quickly
- Strong and proven experience in partnering with engineering or technical teams to define project goals and integrate analytic output into engineering workflows
- A collaborative spirit and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to both colleagues and stakeholders
- Fluent in oral and written English, comparable to C1 proficiency
Workplace and Environment
- Fast paced work environment;
- Subject to national/international criminal background checks;
- Position until the end of 2020
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, along with examples of previous work (eg. link to a show reel or similar). The Olympic Channel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a broad diversity of talent to apply.
Important: Please quote your name and job reference: ‘Data Science Manager’ in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.