Contract type: Temporary
Department: Digital Data & Analytics
Ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the Olympic Channel is looking for Data and Analytics Associates to join our fast-growing Digital Data & Analytics team based in Madrid. You will have the opportunity to work at the intersection of Data, Sport and Media across the Olympic digital ecosystem comprising the Olympic Channel, olympic.org alongside the sites and apps of Olympic Games Organizing Committees such as Tokyo 2020.
Our team is responsible for a wide range of data-related activities that aim to increase fan engagement with the Olympics. Activities including:
- Using data to answer critical business questions, such as which content we should focus on, or how to better engage our fans, including advanced forecasting techniques.
- Measuring business performance and providing recommendations to decision-makers
- Help to drive the digital strategy of the IOC
- Production models that deliver high profile product features to users across the world, including during the Olympic Games, based on personalization algorithms.
- Fan data architecture and integrations
We are a dynamic, informal and multicultural team of specialists so far from 6 different countries with a range of skills from data, statistics, and engineering to business communications and project management. We highly value diversity of background and perspective and are striving for a gender balanced team. We work in close collaboration with colleagues who are experts in areas such as editorial, marketing, commercial, product and technical delivery. Our working language is English.
- Lead the design, analysis, and interpretation of data through exploratory analysis, data-driven recommendations experiments, and product features (including personalization algorithms) that shape decision-making related to increasing fan engagement.
- End to end responsibility for all data science aspects of our projects, including researching the statistical methodology, overseeing the quality of data science inputs, challenging teams of data scientists to do their best work, and ensuring that the end deliverable is correct, performant, and meets user requirements
- Develop and drive customer intelligence from our core data assets using advanced analytics.
- Develop advanced analytics algorithms exploiting our rich data assets including viewing behaviours and content engagement on multiple platforms
- Engage with key stakeholders (Marketing, Product, Content, Management) to understand business objectives and support these objectives through best use of advanced Data Science approaches.
- Hold overall responsibility for identifying the best analytical techniques, developing the solution, creating a framework for testing the solution and measuring the incremental value to the stakeholders.
- Strengthen our internal data science capabilities by continuously encouraging and hands on innovating to drive new ideas, building partnerships with our vendors, training and developing our people and creating a world class data science team at the Olympic Channel.
The holder of this role will be the most senior data scientist working on Olympic fan data. The role therefore involves a high degree of technical leadership. However, we are flexible on the level of line management responsibility that will be required. The successful applicant may take an exclusively data science role, or could grow into line management on the job.
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, or a different field requiring
- Proven track record of leveraging massive amounts of data to drive business progress
- Experience guiding and executing cross-functional data science projects to completion, while remaining hands-on. This experience could have been gained in a formal leadership role, or as a key technical contributor to projects.
- Expertise in at least two advanced analytical areas such as Forecasting, Predictive Modelling, Optimisation, and Clustering.
- Experience in production deployments of valuable applications using AI techniques combining structured and unstructured data is highly desirable
- Ability to quickly understand a business objective, frame the problem, and propose an analytical solution while communicating to stakeholders are essential
- Deep experience with R or Python (and familiar with the other) and with SQL
- Fluent in oral and written English, comparable to C1 proficiency
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and CV to email@example.com, along with examples of previous work (eg. link to a show reel or similar). The Olympic Channel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a broad diversity of talent to apply.
Important: Please quote your name and job reference: ‘Lead Data Scientist’ in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.