New Apps on Android TV, Apple TV and the Roku Platform Expand Distribution to More Digital Platforms
MADRID – Bringing fans closer to the Olympic Movement all year round, the Olympic Channel today announced that it is now available on connected TV devices for Android TV and Apple TV. It will also launch on the Roku Platsform in January 2019. Availability on additional devices will be announced in due course.
From the sports fans love to the ones you’ve never heard of, the Olympic Channel provides unparalleled access to the remarkable human stories behind remarkable human feats. Through comprehensive coverage, original programming, never-before-seen footage and exclusive interviews, the Olympic Channel takes viewers outside the stadium, behind the scenes, and inside the minds of athletes.
“As the Olympic Channel continues to grow and evolve, we are dedicated to making our content available wherever our audiences are watching in efforts to create more personalised experiences for our viewers,” said Mark Parkman, General Manager of the IOC’s global Olympic Channel. “With more and more consumers using connected TV devices, fans now have more options to discover our content and engage with their favourite sports and athletes.”
Content initially available on connected TV devices include a 24/7 live stream* and 400 episodes from the Olympic Channel library of original content featuring more than 50 series developed with best-in-class production companies from more than 25 countries. Highlights include:
- Five Rings Films: The Olympic Channel’s signature sports documentary series is produced by Hollywood legend Frank Marshall and Mandalay Sports Media. Directed by some of the biggest names in film from around the world, the feature-length films include The Nagano Tapes, which tells the inspiring underdog story of the Czech Republic’s stunning gold medal win in men’s ice hockey in 1998; The People’s Fighter’s, which examines Cuba’s boxing culture highlighting the career of the legendary Teofilo Stevenson; and The Golden Generation which spotlights the Argentine Men’s National Team’s historic run to claim gold at the Athens 2004 Olympic Basketball Tournament.
- Original Series: From the heart-warming stories of athletes who overcame adversity in Against All Odds to the Webby award-winning Identify about the journeys of transgender athletes and the fitness-based Hitting the Wall which pits influencers against Olympians, the Olympic Channel provides an entertaining, inspiring and action-packed look at the everyday lives of athletes.
- 24/7 Live Streaming Channel: Those seeking a traditional TV experience can watch the 24/7 Olympic Channel TV live stream at any time. In the U.S., “Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA” will be available as the 24/7 live streaming channel and is accessible to authenticated pay TV subscribers. The round-the-clock streaming channel features original programming, Olympic Games event replays and other Olympic-related content.
Future plans for programming on connected TV devices include live events in select territories in collaboration with the Olympic Channel’s federation partners.
Offering year-round coverage of Olympic sports and elite athletes in their quest for success, the subscription-free Olympic Channel OTT service launched worldwide following the Olympic Games Rio 2016 on the web and Android and iOS devices.
- Authentication is not required for VOD content.
- To check out some of the Olympic Channel’s “must-watch” videos, click HERE.
About the Olympic Channel
The Olympic Channel is a multi-platform media destination where fans can discover, engage and share in the power of sport and the excitement of the Olympic Games all year round. Offering original programming, news, live sports events and highlights, the Olympic Channel provides additional exposure for sports and athletes 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in 11 languages. The Olympic Channel was launched in August 2016 in support of the IOC’s goal, set out in Olympic Agenda 2020, of providing a new way to engage younger generations, fans and new audiences with the Olympic Movement. Founding Partners supporting the Olympic Channel are Worldwide TOP Partners Bridgestone, Toyota and Alibaba. The Olympic Channel is available worldwide via mobile apps for Android and iOS devices and at olympicchannel.com.